Our last week of research began as usual with our Monday meeting. We decided that Thursday would be the day to present our Virtual Environments on Zoom. I still had many items on my goals list for the week. I had to finish my Final Research Report, debug my button that I had added to the scene, finish The Unity Tutorial for creating VR Experiences, and try to implement the ASCII portal animation. As the week began I was excited to begin these tasks, but I had no clue what obsticles were in store for the week.
Beginning week 9 we had our usual Monday meeting on zoom. We discussed our plans and goals for the week. My goals were to continue writing my research report while wditing sections I had previously completed, continue implementing the button in Unity, and to continue my research on portals in Unity. After discussing our goals my mentor mentioned to me that a written step by step document showing how to connect an Oculus to Unity would be useful for future researchers. So I added the task of creating that pdf to my list of goals.
On Monday we met on zoom to discuss our plans for the upcoming week. My first goal of the week was to get my project to be virtual reality supported again so that it could test my environment. I would possibly have to create a new Unity project and pull my previous work from GitHub. I also wanted to continue to research for the ASCII code animation which would require the use of portals in my project. We also planned to submit sections of our final research report to our Mentor on Thursday so that we could receive feedback.
Week 7 began with our usual Monday meeting where we discussed the up in coming week. We planned to do presentations of our current virtual environment on the following day. During this time we would dicuss our progress and give tips on future steps. We also set our goals for the week. My goals for this week were to continue Unity Tutorials, Research for the ASCII code interaction, begin implementing the ASCII code interaction, and to continue working on my Final Report. When discussing the goals that we had set for the week my Mentor suggested that we wait to work on the ASCII code animation due to the lengthy nature of that portion. Instead we decided to begin working on the animation that highlights different portions of the code based on the press of a button.
Our week began with our Monday meeting which included our goals for the week. My goals for the week include continuing Unity tutorials, continuing Final Research Report on Overleaf, and adding and interactive Magnifying Glass to the Unity Environment. We discussed having Nyala, a research student like myself, and I presenting our current virtual environments the following Tuesday. This presentation will help us to get a view of each others environments and a feel for the different techniques used when using a different software.
Beginning week 5 we convened as usual to discuss the upcoming week on Moday morning. My first goal of the week was to implement movement in Unity. I also needed to fix the hand presence in my virtual environment. This week we also were introduced to a LaTeX editor that will help us when formatting our Final Research Reports. This LaTeX editor is called Overleaf. Overleaf requires no installation, allows for real time collaboration, and version control when it comes to editing reports.
Week 4 began with a meeting to discuss our plans for the week. This week we wanted to begin to go over some published research articles and reports so that we could then begin to write our own. My goals for this week were to obtain a USB-C cable in order to begin to test my environment on the Occulus Quest, research for articles on related works to include in the final research report, complete the related works questions that will be included in the paper, and to finally begin testing on the Occulus Quest.
Week 3 began with our usual Monday meeting where we met to discuss plans for the upcoming week. We spoke about some up and coming issues we may run into and how we can get around them. One issue I was worried about was populating a certain grid in the Virtual Reality Environment. I wanted to make sure I went about it in the most efficient manner. My goals for week 3 were to find an efficient way to add a grid to the Unity environment, begin to populate the grid, continue Unit 4 of the Locomotion and Ergonomics Unit, and begin to research sideloading on the Oculus Quest.
At the end of week 1 we met for our online discussion of what had been completed and made adjustments. As week 2 began our goals had already been set and we convened on Monday morning to talk about them. My week 2 goals were to add panels and text to my Unity scene, continue Unit 3 of Using Unity to Develop VR Experiences and begin Unit 4, and push my project to GitHub.
Right before week 1 began a zoom call was facilitated in order to introduce the project I will be working on for the next 10 weeks. I will be creating a Virtual Reality space that helps students learn. This zoom call was also used as time to get to know each other before the DREU program officially started. At this time I was given documents and links that would help on the 10 week journey. Later on in that day another zoom call was scheduled. This was the official Student Introduction to DREU where students had the opportunity to learn more about the program as well as have any questions answered.